A. Please compare the techniques used in Early Jazz to those used in Big Band Swing. What are the differences in instrumentation? What does an arranger do? Â How do solos differ?
B. What are some of the characteristics of songs from the American Songbook? Who are some of the greatest singers, songs and composers?
C. What did Charlie Parker bring to Bebop? How did Bebop differ from Big Band Swing?
D. What were the dance centers of Latin Jazz and Big Band Swing?
E. Why was Louis Armstrong so important? Benny Goodman? Describe the genius of Duke Ellington.
American Songbook/Jazz Singers
1. Â “I’ve Got Rhythm“, George & Ira Gershwin, John Pizarelli
2. Â “Cheek to Cheek”, Irvin Berlin, Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgerald
3. Â “They Can’t Take That Away From Me”, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfe-gLx2XxE“, George & Ira Gershwin, John Pizarelli & Jane Monheit
4. Â “I Should Care“, Sammy Cahn/Jane Monheit
5. Â “He’s Funny That Way” Â Â , Billie Holiday
6. Â “He’s Funny That Way” Â , Lester Young
7. Â “She’s Funny That Way” Â , Kurt Elling
8. Â “Somewhere Over The Rainbow”, Â Harold Arland Ypi Harburg, Judy Garland
9. Â “White Christmas”, Â Irvin Berlin, Bing Crosby
10. Â “Cold Duck Time”, Eddie Harris, Al Jarreau
11. Â “Take Five”, Paul Desmond & Iola Brubeck, Al Jarreau & Kurt Eliing
10. Â The Jazz Samba, Ella Fitzgerald
14. Â “Riverboat Shuffle“, Bix Beiderbecke (Franky Trumbauer)
15. Â “Rocking Chair”, Louis Armstrong & Jack Teagarden
20. Â “Chattanooga Choo Choo”, Mack Gordon & Harry Warren, Glen Miller
21. Â “Tea for Two”Â Vincent Youmans Irving Caesar, Art Tatum
22. Piano Lesson with Oscar Peterson
23. Â “Koko“/Charlie Parker
24. Â “Hot House” Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie
25. Â Cherokee, Bud Powell
26. Â “Obsession“-David Valentin
29. Â “Bermibau”, Â Celia Cruz
30. Â “Para Los Rumberos”, Tito Puente