1. What are the three principal types of harmony discussed?
2. What is their historical order?
3. Define, provide a diagram and an example for each.
4. Discuss the beginnings of opera.
5. What is recitative?
6. What is word-painting?
7. Why was Palestrina so significant?
8. Romantic Art Song
Gretchen and the Spinning Wheell, by Franz Schubert
9. Renaissance Motet
Giovanni Palestrina, Mass for Pope Marcellus
10. Hymn from the Renaissance
Martin Luther, A Mighty Fortress is Our God
11. Romantic Opera Aria
Georges Bizet, “Habanera” from Carmen
12. Parallel Organum
13. Baroque Oratorio in English, by the German Master HandelGeorge Frederic Handel, “Hallelujah” from The Messiah
14. Baroque Cantata
Johann Sebastian Bach, Cantata 140
15. Gregorian Chant
Gregorian Chant, Santa Domingo de Silos
16. Renaissance Madrigal
Thomas Weelkes, As Vesta Was Ascending
17. Romantic Opera Overture
Georges Bizet, Overture to Carmen
18. Medieval Polyphony
Leonin, Organum Duplum
19. Romantic Art Song
Der Erlkonig by Franz Schubert
20. Perotin, Organum Triplum
21. Machaut, “Messe de Notre Dame”